Thursday 20 January 2011

Past few Days

Not been able to get online for the past few days so below is my diary since last post.  Today will be a chill day, a little swim then playing on beach. Got some great pictures this week on our rides round the island, will post these once back in UK.


Monday Diary –

Becci’s camp had a trip organised to island of La Graciosa. After a short coach journey we caught the Ferry from Orzola near Mirador over to the island.  A tiny peaceful island. The runners did a 15-17km run around the island which apparently turned out to be very hot, hilly and tough!
I stayed on the beach with JW, Dad and H.
I did get in he pool before we went only for 15 mins, my legs were so thick and heavy I wanted to do something light to flush them. Left Achilles was bit tender last night and legs very tired,  Today was a welcome day off, as the past weeks training has definitely caught up with me.  I hope that with the rest and icing etc I am able to get in a few more decent miles on the bike and running before we leave on Friday.
Tomorrow I plan to get back out on the bike for 3-4 hours hopefully with a short run off, plus another decent swim session later in the day.

Wednesday Diary –

Yesterday I got in my planned sessions.  A 100k ride with Dad, this included the other tough climb on the Island, fermes.  This climb has a long grind for a few km then the final climb is short and steep, very steep! We then worked hard together towards the end of the ride into Famara.  Due to my Achilles being a little sore I did my run on the track off this bike in case I needed to stop. Ran 1 mile very very easy to clear legs then 10 x 400m at a comfortable 1:45min pace with 100m walk and a cool down to give me around 7k in total.  Hr was low under 140 throughout.
I then got a 1500m-2k swim in the lagoon later in the day. First time I have worn my wetsuit for a few months, really enjoy the open water swimming,

Today ( weds), Becci’s camp had their last big set of the week. A long run of 24k split into 8km loops, with an aim to get quicker each split.  I had hoped to join in this but decided that as my Achilles was still sore this morning that it is not worth the risk.  Becci did well on her run capping off a solid week for her, I went to the pool and did a 4k swim. Also grabbed some time with Stefan Vuckovic on poolside who gave me some great advice on my swimming, I am also getting some time with him tomorrow to pick his brains about ironman training.  This guy was a silver medallist at Sydney Olympics, 2nd 2009 Ironman Lanzarote running 2:46 off the bike! One of the top 10 Ironman Athletes in the world, the advice will be invaluable.
Also got some diagnosis on my Achilles from a lady doing a PHD on Achilles! Perfect.  No issue, just a bit of RICE for a few days then build back.

So I have pretty much done my training. May get a swim in tomorrow but that will be it. Overall good volume, a little bit off my bike and run targets that I set due to not running or biking these last 1-2 days but,
17km swimming,
460km biking,
50km running 
30 hrs of training
This is the most volume I have done in this space of time, really pleased and it will give me a great base to build from.

JW has loved it here, grown up loads, confident around the water and eaten loads! He and uncle H know everyone in La Santa.

Flying home to the wet and cold on Friday.  Looking forward to building in the lessons learnt for my-self, Becci and the people in the club.

No comments:

Post a Comment